Dairy free Asparagus Cream Soup (Paleo/Keto friendly)
I was sitting at home one night wondering what to make for dinner as we all do. I decided to get creative with some ingredients that had been sitting in my fridge. This is where soups shine and you can make just about anything with some broth, veggies and a blender! I created a non-dairy cream of Asparagus soup on the fly and was very pleasantly surprised at the final product! It looks fancy but could not be easier to prepare. Not to mention the health benefits of Asparagus....let's talk about that!
Did you know Asparagus belongs to the family of lilies (who knew!) and its healing medicinal effect and its usage has been proven by science. Asparagus is full of vitamin B and helps metabolize starches and sugar, therefore, helping to maintain healthy blood sugar levels. It is also believed to fight PMS, improve fertility and improve digestion.
Digestion is another area where soups shine. Asparagus itself is already used to improve digestive issues however, you add a pureed soup that is gentle to your gut and system your body will thank you! Taking a week and replacing two meals a day with a soup will really give your gut that vacation it needs for some rest and relaxation!
1 lb Asparagus
1/2 Cup Onion (chopped)
2 cloves fresh garlic
2 Cups Chicken Bone Broth or Stock
3 Table Spoons Coconut Flour
3 Tablespoons Ghee
1 Cup Canned Coconut Milk
Seasonings of Choice:
Lemon Dill seasoning
1. In a pan add the 1/2 chopped onion and asparagus (I chop mine up prior) and cook on medium heat. You want to cook and soften the asparagus and onions without burning.
2. Once asparagus/onion mixture is softer and cooked, place in a blender. Add 1 1/2 cups of chicken bone broth and blend until a smooth puree and no lumps. Put aside for a moment.
3. In the same pan on Medium heat add 3 tablespoons of ghee and 2 cloves of garlic until garlic is lightly cooked.
4. Add 3 tablespoons of coconut flour to the ghee/garlic sauce and mix together until it's a doughy texture.
4. Add the ghee/flour mixture to blender with the soup.
3. Blend together until ghee/flour mixture is completely blended together with the soup soup
4. Add the pureed soup to a large sauce pan on low heat. Add 1 cup canned coconut milk and stir.
5. Add Sea salt, pepper and Garlic salt. You can add other herbs/seasonings of your choice. I had cilantro on hand and it worked well!
6. Once soup is warm (not boiling) top with freshly squeezed lemon (optional) and serve